Tuesday, March 20, 2007

What will tomorrow bring?

Today was a weird day. We had a discipline issue happen at the end of the day yesterday that we needed to finish dealing with this morning. It took over an hour. As time allowed throughout the day I was working on a project that is worth 1/4 of my semester grade for my graduate school work. I've known about it the entire semester and procrastinated...I know, I know. I didn't leave work until 4:45 to get across town to campus. Class starts at 5:00. I walked in at 5:30. He had already collected the projects and passed out the midterms to those in attendance.

At 6:30 we took a short break. I turned in my project and asked to see my midterm grade. Remember the really easy test? He asked me to follow him to the hallway, never a good sign. While he's flipping through the pages to find mine, he comments, "If I'd been asked, I would have said your grade would have been one of the best." Another not so hot sign. It was a 38/50. Basically meaning that I got all the "real" questions wrong. It also means out of 300 points for the course and 285 required to keep an A, I only have 3 leeway points left.

I hadn't studied for the test...not really anyway. I've taught for 5 years. I had an opinion with experiences to back up each one for every topic we discussed. I'm interested in the content of the course and fairly knowledgeable regarding it. Another student and I are the main talkers in the class, with different perspectives due to teaching different aged students, but both with a heart for teaching and children. Basically, I went in cocky and arrogant.

Yesterday wasn't so great. Today included another humbling experience. I'm a little afraid of what tomorrow will bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment