Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Midterm

I took a midterm last night in my graduate work class (Literacy Assessment.) This is an example of one of the questions and possible answer choices: L.M. Anderson et. al (1985) said which of the following... A. If they were in a fight, would Batman or Superman win? B. I don't think I should have ordered this color of carpet. C. Seatwork for first graders is not wise for their developmental growth. D. You can only order original recipe chicken when you go to KFC.

Obviously, my professor is not a fan of standardized tests. He is probably told what to give for the midterm and final. I am a fan of him as a professor! In future classes, I will definitely say, "Sign me up for him!"

4 comments:

  1. a. Superman wins because he has alien powers...
    b. What?
    c. True
    d. False

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what was the right answer? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does being from another planet make your powers "alien?" I don't know. I do know (because I have a lot of friends that love comics ... me, not so much) that when Superman and Batman fought, Batman won. That's right, brain over brawn, something like having a Kryptonite belt or something. Funny how that Kyponite stuff is just all over the place in the Superman universe.

    Who are the "et.al." from the question?

    Carpet should always be a dark color, 1st graders need to learn to sit still ... granted, most work shouldn't be in a seat, but they need to learn the lesson sooner rather than later, and d is based on whether or not you like tradition or think that the best things are found with change.

    My understanding of education courses for teachers is that they're generally pretty much a waste of time, but if a professor is going to buck the "conventional wisdom" and ask his own questions, I could see how it might be entertaining.

    And yes, San Francisco rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, actually, have loved 85+% of my education courses. Also, this is grad work and therefore more specialized in the things I want to learn. I'm sorry you have a negative outlook on education.

    The et. al. includes Nancy L. Brubaker, Janet Alleman-Brooks and Gerald G. Duffy.

    And, actually, first graders are not developmentally ready for seat work. Their fine and gross motor skills, attention span, and physical, mental and emotional development are simply not prepared to handle seatwork for any length of time.

    ReplyDelete