Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mars and Venus

I was meeting with a guy friend tonight to go over some stuff. During our discussion, friendships came up. Specifically guy/guy friendships and girl/girl friendships. I'm not trying to be stereotypical here, but for the most part, girls are more relational. My guy friend and I were comparing how we each react to a problem in our lives.

Me: I call my mom and three girlfriends. With each call, I hash out the entire situation. I want their advice, their input, their sympathetic sighs or frustrated groans, their exclamations of indignation on my account. I want all of it. I leave each call feeling renewed, invigorated and ready to face life again. (Yes, even feeling that way after each conversation, I STILL call the others!) Now there are other women in my life that will hear part of the story, maybe even all of it, but those 4 will hear it every time. Why do I need to call 4 different women? I'm glad you asked! They each provide a different relationship.

My mom has known me the longest. (Yes, I realize I'm stating the obvious here.) She sometimes knows my emotions and reactions better than I do because she's an outside observer. She has no problem calling me out on things; even knowing sometimes that information will hurt. She's not always gentle, but always loving. She's also a prayer warrior. I know when I mention something to her that she will have a scripture reference for me and that she will pray.

These are in no particular order:
Friend #1: We have history. We went to college together and roomed together for a long time, too (in and after college.) Our schedules don't always mix and she now lives 1/2 a continent away, but she's the one outside of family that knows me the best. As people, we're pretty different, but she's the one I can call at 2am, and I know she won't care. She's the one that will do anything, even the insignificant and inconvenient things, to show me she loves me. She's always supportive, though she sometimes has a blind eye to my faults. What can I say, she loves me! (It's mutual!)

Friend #2: We have very similar personalities. Sometimes we're too sarcastic or "cut and dried." We can help each other soften that while at the same time understanding where the other is coming from. She recently got married, but we've still continued to draw close as friends. I love her dearly and really appreciate the effort she has put into maintaining our friendship. I understand (as much as I can) that it is difficult to do that when your life changes as much as getting married causes it too! We both point the other toward the Lord and in so doing, we grow in life together.

Friend #3: My wise friend. I go to her when I need truth spoken into me. She loves me. She tells me what I need to hear and always has scripture to back it up. She points me back to my Savior. She prays for me, edifies and encourages me, and often has me in stitches I'm laughing so hard. She's a great friend that I rely on quite a bit. We talk about what the Lord is teaching each of us, boys, work, boys, day to day things, hurts, heartaches, joys, boys and just life in general. She is my confidante and one I confide in quite regularly!

Him: maybe he calls one friend.

Just another way guys and girls are different.

2 comments:

  1. I am picturing this conversation between you and the guy (which we already discussed by phone) and it's making me laugh. It's so true!

    ReplyDelete