Sunday, January 10, 2010

Holding to my Personal Challenge

Keeping with this post, I am only cooking things that I have on hand. I am allowing myself to go to the grocery store for perishable items only: meat, bread, vegetables, milk. I am not allowing myself to purchase canned goods, boxed goods, bags, etc.

Why?

Because I have a pantry full of perfectly good food and I need to use it! My thinking is that this will be cost effective and pretty much Proverbs 31 woman. (Yeah, I just thought of that last part...but it's true!) I don't need to go off a recipe where I need five or ten things when I could simply make something else for which I already have everything!

Case in point: I texted Julie on Thursday to see if she wanted to come over for some tortilla soup. It was leftovers, but we're close enough friends I was okay with that and it was a cold day so soup was definitely a good option. However, I didn't have any chips. You have to have chips with tortilla soup! So the thought of running to the store flits through my mind. "Wait! You have crackers and sliced bread. You could make toast. You do NOT need to go to the store."

Now, it turned out Julie didn't come over that night, but I did eat tortilla soup for dinner. I tore a slice of bread into little pieces and put it in my bowl of soup. It was really good!

Tonight, I made some pasta for dinner and lunches for next week.


I used green onions, bell pepper and garlic. Added some white wine, cream of mushroom and cream of celery soup. Let it simmer while the pasta was coming to a boil. Then combined it all together and added a little marinara. It was great!

Earlier today, I had washed a carton of strawberries and blackberries. I don't usually combine those fruits, but decided to do so today. I sprinkled a little sugar on top and put them back in the fridge to chill and to give the strawberries time to masticulate in their juices.

Voila! Dinner! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment