Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Rollercoaster of Emotions

I received an email from a parent today in which my immediate physical reaction was a stomach tied in knots. I immediately became anxious and fearful. None of these were pleasant reactions, obviously. The email arrived too late in the day for me to confer with my teaching partner or an administrator. I didn't want to respond without discussing the situation with someone else first. (Several people received the email.) I was going to have to wait until tomorrow to have closure. I mentioned it briefly to a friend, but wasn't able to let go. I spoke briefly with my mom about it, but needed to get off the phone quickly to tutor. I was able to speak with Mom later this evening though and now I feel more comfortable.

Why is that? Is it just because we have a relationship built on trust and commitment that has been tested over time? Is it the whole mom thing? Or was it simply because I finally had the opportunity to pour out what I was feeling to an education-minded person and get some feedback I can apply?

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I do know the knots have been untied in my stomach. When I click reply to the email that cries 'attorney,' I will be much more confidant of my response.

No comments:

Post a Comment