Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dinner for the Neighbors

It's been on my list for awhile.

I've been a little nervous to actually do it. I mean Jesus would want me to and people think Jesus is weird. Hospitality? In your home? With kinda complete strangers? Who does that in today's day and age?

But I want to have them over. I want to get to know them. This home may be temporary, but why should that stop me? I've been here a little over a year and so far I know almost all my direct neighbors by name and all of them by sight. I know what a few of them do for a living and can chat with the little old ladies as they move down the sidewalk with their walker and their dog attached to it. (Something that never ceases to stop my heart's beat for a moment!) But I don't know much more than that. I want to change that.

I'm not sure how or when...but soon.

Why would it be a big deal? I mean, they're neighbors. I live near them. But it's not like I have anyone's phone number. I don't know their last names. And it's a little awkward to go knock on their door and say, "Hey, want to come to dinner?" So I'm hoping to do it casually. When I see them in passing. Now the decisions of what to serve, how many of them to invite (there are 7 in all, plus me) and also trying to figure out if any of them already know each other!

You can make fun at my inner conundrum if you'd like.

But I still want to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment