Saturday, February 03, 2007

Alyssa Lies

Listening to songs like "My Maria" or "Who's Bed have your Boots been Under?" growing up, I remember thinking "There won't ever be a song with my name in it." I mean, my name just isn't that common. Most people butcher it when pronouncing it...so of course it won't be in music. Then this year "Alyssa Lies" hits the airwaves. The first time I heard the song, I admit, I didn't even follow the story because I was trying to figure out if Jason Michael Carroll was really saying "Alyssa." He is. The song is heartbreaking.

If you haven't heard it, it is a beautiful song. A very sad story about a girl, Alyssa, who is the victim of child abuse. In the song, the adults in her life are not sure how to respond and so turn a blind eye. The morning someone is going to act, is the morning after it's too late. Beautifully sung, poignant and masterfully written to make a point. Adults need to be advocates for the innocent.

I admit, this was not the type of song I was hoping for if a song with my name was ever recorded. I'd much rather be the sexy woman in the beautiful red dress or the one with the curly hair and blue eyes that captures a man's attention, but hey...the writer didn't ask me. I am curious to know if the song is based on a true story or simply one to represent all the children who live with abuse each year, but haven't been able to find anything to prove one way or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment