Thursday, January 25, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I have never felt my blood pressure rise before...I mean sure, there have been times where I have been angry, but I have never literally "felt" my blood heat. I did today. I was in a meeting with my teaching partner, our principal, and a parent; one we have met with several times. She just hasn't been getting our point and I was having to be extremely direct. I have never been this direct with a parent before. As teachers, we're not allowed to tell a parent that their child is cheating, lying, stealing, etc. We have to be much more diplomatic: "His eyes were on another person's paper." or "I'm not sure this item belongs to her." In this particular instance, none of those reasons were applicable. It was more the situation of telling her to put her child to bed, take responsibility for feeding him when appropriate and being consistent with sleep and food intake. This little boy, and the others he represents, are the reasons I am a teacher. To show love and consistency and to fight for them when appropriate. It is also this little boy and the others he represents that break my heart for the innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment