Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Night terrors vs Night mares

I think I heard of night terrors for the first time a year or so ago.  I didn't have any inkling what they were or how they were different from night mares.

I have now been schooled....by our pediatrician.

HUGE difference folks, so this is my PSA.

Night terrors:
The child does NOT wake up fully.
The child does NOT remember anything the next day.
The child WILL scream bloody murder.
The child WILL calm down and go back to (all the way) sleep fairly quickly.

Night mares:
The child DOES wake up fully.
The child DOES remember the bad dream VIVIDLY.
The child might or might not scream, but will definitely be afraid and tears are probable.
The child will take a LONG time to calm down and go back to sleep because the child is scared to have the bad dream again.


Let me tell you that NEITHER one of them are fun at all, but they're VERY different experiences.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that you're dealing with night terrors -- they are frightening for everyone involved. I'm happy to visit with you about them if you'd like. I'm not an expert, but I've learned how to handle them at our house.

    Take care!

    -- Tyra
    tyradamm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete