Sunday, August 10, 2008

Reasons 501 and 502 to stay away from Wal-Mart

I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart and really haven't ever been. When I was young, I didn't know why my parents didn't like it (therefore I didn't like it), but now I completely understand.

Reason #501 to NOT shop at Wal-Mart
In all my car repair last weekend, I was told I needed a new car battery. Some friends told me they could put it in for me, so I declined the installation fees and headed to Wal-Mart. As I check out with my really heavy battery, the cashier tells me he has to charge me an extra $9 fee which will be refunded when I bring the old battery back in. I think that's stupid, but he states its a state law so I go along with it. (For those of you getting ready to explain to me the reasoning here, I already get it. I was planning on taking my battery to a recycling plant. I didn't really want to go back to Wal-Mart!)

The battery is replaced and the old one wrapped in a black trash bag until I can lug it back to Wal-Mart. Well, I didn't realize this needed to happen pronto! When I drove up a few days later and tried to carry in the old battery, acid had leaked out, shredded the garbage bag and dripped all over me in the process. Not so much fun.

It takes awhile to find a Wal-Mart employee that is willing to carry the battery for me, but finally I do and stand in line for my $9. At the tire lube check-out, she initials my receipt and sends me to Customer Service.
Seriously? You can't just give me the 9 bucks here!? Keep in mind I haven't been able to find a bathroom yet and my hands and shins are red, raw and irritated from battery acid. I realize this part is my own doing, but since I thought that $9 fee was stupid and am already slightly aggravated with Wal-Mart anyway, I blame this on them too just because I can. There is no line at Customer Service (miracle of miracles!) and my $9.74 was credited to my credit card (yes, I said $9.74. They charged TAX on the fee. How dumb is that!?)


Reason #502 to NOT shop at Wal-Mart
As I was walking up to the Tire Lube Express, I noticed another person walking in about the same time. Not a big deal, just realized I wasn't walking in by myself. This man also stood in line to speak with the cashier. Again, I knew he was there, but kind of like I knew my car was in the parking lot. Something I was aware of, but not paying much attention to.

After I handled my $9.74 credit and scrubbed my hands with soap and water to clean off the acid, I headed back to the Tire Lube Express since my car was parked there. I soon realized this same man is walking in front of me in the same direction. I begin to pay much more attention when he turns around and says,

"I noticed you earlier and find you attractive. Are you married?"

"No, I'm not married." I almost stutter.

"Where is your boyfriend?"

"I don't have one."

"How does that happen?"

"That's just how life works sometimes." as I walk away.

What can I say big, black men like my ghetto booty. ;)
Some of you will understand this comment and some will be confused. Let's just suffice it to say I've had some experience with random men trying very odd (and lame!) pick up lines.

1 comment:

  1. I can't stand Wal-Mart either!!! I'd rather pay higher prices and go somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete