Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Days

Yesterday went very well! My feet were KILLING me by the end of the day, but that's pretty typical. I was wearing heels (a little tiny one!), since I always dress a little nicer on the first day. Being on my feet ALL day long didn't help, of course. :) My students seem responsible and sweet.

One funny story:
George* is a student that is sure to make me laugh...and scream...some this year. Last week, at our Ice Cream Social (aka Meet the Teacher) he asked me when he was allowed to use his cell phone during school.

Monday he asked questions (LOTS of them), usually not remembering to wait for me to call on him and sometimes not even remembering to raise his hand. Then at lunch, we have this conversation. "Ms. Ross, do you want to know why I've been so quiet today?" "Well, George, I didn't think you had been quiet." With a perplexed look on his face, "Oh, I have been. It's because I'm new to this school and haven't had a chance to make friends yet."

A few minutes later: "You know how some schools have food fights? When are we going to have a food fight? And throw the food ALL the way to the other side of the cafeteria?" "We don't throw food in school, George."

Ah, we're definitely back at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment