Saturday, February 09, 2008

A Perspective on Convictions

Some people have various convictions. A conviction can be Biblical, cultural or personal. Of course, some of these may overlap.

A few have a personal conviction against consuming alchol.

Still others don't mind drinking, but do not choose to get drunk.

I don't know many people that smoke, but I'm not sure if that is a choice for good health or a personal conviction.

Some friends don't think a person that is not united with a Christian church should be president of the United States.

Still others don't have that same conviction.

Some people have no interest in politics whatsoever.

Others follow the presidential debates, but do not think their vote really counts.

Some people return change when a little too much was given, while others rejoice in their excess.


Most of my close friends are believers in Christ. Through their study of the Word of God and the fellowship they have with other believers, they are working to grow in His image. Yet, they differ on some of the above points, as well as others I haven't mentioned.

I wonder at times why we make the Bible so gray in principle. I have thought about this quite a bit. There are times something is so incredibly black and white to me. I wonder why someone else can't have the same perspective. Yet, we are human. We are fallible. My heart is so completely dirty at times that it literally disgusts me, and I want only to get away from myself. A little difficult, I realize. At times I make something gray, that the Lord doesn't intend to be so.

Yet, part of me thinks I'm so "good." Why is that? Because I was raised in a Christian home? Because I was born in America? Because I haven't had sex outside the confines of marriage (or within for that matter, but that is beside the point.) Because I've never been drunk? Robbed someone? Done drugs or committed murder? No, I haven't done those things.

I have lied. I have cheated. I have manipulated. I have wormed my way out of sticky situations. I struggle with gossip. Struggle isn't really the right word, because most times I don't even put up a fight.

The Bible tell us the tongue is an evil thing. The Word commands us to go out and make disciples of all nations. Christ's example of service is constant and his followers show various forms of service as well.

I realize this post is fairly lengthy. I also know it is a pretty weighty topic. I am not going to apologize for either, though the huge part of me that is a people pleaser wishes to do so.

I am going to ask a few difficult questions. You certainly don't have to answer them aloud (or in this case in written form), but I do challenge you to ask them of yourself. I have done that, and didn't always like my answer.

Jesus was a man of principle. He was a man of convictions. Many of them.

Are you a man or woman of convictions?

If your answer was yes, are you living like it?

Do you have the courage to keep others accountable? Yes, asking hard questions takes some guts.

Are you currently serving in the Body of Christ? Do you realize the church is not here to serve you, but provides a place for you to serve?

If you are not currently serving, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment