Monday, March 21, 2011

My reactions to our first clinic

I'm not a doctor...or a nurse...

I didn't feel particularly useful at our first clinic.  My job was to help someone find glasses that worked for them...if they asked for them.  I was supposed to keep them bagged up and out of sight otherwise.  Soooo, yeah.  Basically, I didn't have much to do.

Until a family of three came in.  I'm not sure why, but one of the little girls caught my eye.  I asked, through hand motions, if her mother would let me hold her and she agreed willingly and smiling.  However, the little girl wasn't so excited about it.  It worked out okay at first, but pretty soon she wanted mama...and only mama!

Her older sister on the other hand...I could tell her sweet smile was simply her way of asking to be held.  I held her, and I rocked by and forth like I love to do...and I sang.  I'm not a singer by any means, but I love holding a little one and singing Amazing Grace.  It's my go-to song when I'm holding a baby or toddler and I feel...I don't know how to describe it...a special kinship with my inmost being...as one God created to be a mother.  A way of connecting with God through worship and adoration while holding a precious lamb of His.  Does that even make sense?  Anyway, I'm singing...and she falls asleep...and there is no feeling in the world like snuggling with an asleep child.  Oh, I love it!

They were next in line to see Dr. Karen, but the little one I was holding wasn't one of her patients today.  I could just hold her...and rock her...and be helpful in that way. 

Now the mom ended up being a patient, too.  She had a very uncomfortable toe, that the doctors soon diagnosed to be an ingrown toenail.  It needed to be removed, and she was petrified.  Katherine did a fabulous job.  But the woman was so scared, she was trembling.  At this point, I handed over the sleeping 3 or 4 year old and wrapped my arms around her mama....I never got their names.  I just held her, and sang.

It was peaceful...and such a clear-cut way I could be involved...in such a minor way, but a way I will remember.  I don't know if she was a believer, but the name of the Lord is calming...and can be called on in times of trouble...anxiousness...excitement...and simply holding on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment