Saturday, February 22, 2014

What's my purpose?

At the beginning of January, a friend of mine emailed several people.

Dear Friends,
I have a quick favor to ask of you.  For the first few months of the year I am doing a few word studies. I’m picking a different word each month to study and praying through. As I have been praying through the beginning of 2014 six words keep coming to my mind.
My word for January is purpose. I would love for you to help me as I study what the word “purpose” means in the life of a believer.
Here are three questions I want to ask of you. You can answer as many as you want. 
What verses do you think point to our purpose as believers? 
How do you know you are walking in your purpose? 
Do you know someone who is walking with purpose? If so, what does their life look like?
Thanks for taking the time and helping my study.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I LOVE her heart and her willingness to study and her willingness to reach out to others to ask for their honest feedback.  This was my response.

Hey Laura,

I LOVE that you're doing this!  I've wanted to respond several times...and am actually composing this over a couple of different "sittings", but I am loving it!

What verses do you think point to our purpose as believers? 

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

(It doesn't surprise you that I'm using this one, does it? ;))

But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.

(I love this!  I know God is talking directly to Moses.  Reading it in context is key, of course, but His purpose is always to proclaim His name, and we are created, in part, to do just that!)

How do you know you are walking in your purpose? 

This one is hard to explain.  There are days I question it.  There are days I'm not sure I'm doing what He has called me specifically to do for HIS purpose.  For the most part, it's a quickening in my spirit that this is "right" or "nuh-huh, that's "off", don't step that way".  I just have to know that the path I'm on is leading me towards Him. I  have to know each step I take is for His glory.

Do you know someone who is walking with purpose? If so, what does their life look like?
I think Jerrell Altic walks with purpose. I see him living his life, pursuing the Lord and I think, "I need more of that certainty...more of that definitiveness."  Also, I love hearing my pastor give stories of his parenting and husbanding.  He is a purposeful parent, husband, pastor and leader.  I know he prays about decisions, does NOT make those decisions lightly and works hard to communicate them (personal or pastoral) clearly.  

Love you, Laura!  And, I'd LOVE to hear what the Lord is teaching you through your study of purpose this month.  :)  Can't wait for next month's questions!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what do you think?  What's your purpose?  Are you walking in purpose?  How do you know?  

February's word study is Adventure.  I'm looking forward to that one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment