Monday, October 22, 2012

Surreal

Do you ever have a time in your life when you feel like something is surreal?  It's not really happening?  It can't be happening?

I've been talking about fostering or adopting a child for YEARS.  Ever since my music minister's sister (who was single) adopted a little girl from China.  That is the first time, that I can remember, that someone I (kinda) knew adopted.  And I remember thinking "I want to do that!"

 I was 15 at the time.

I began the fostering process a year ago.  The actual application, classes process.  The real deal.  Not just talking about it, but actually taking steps to make it happen. 

And it still feels surreal. 

I was in full on paperwork and classes mode until about January.  At that point, I began to fully look for a job in the Plano area.  I had one class left to take for the fostering process, but a trip to Haiti was coming up and then applying and interviewing for jobs and in all that chaos, becoming licensed was secondary since a job in North Texas came first.

Of course, after accepting a job, then I was focused on packing and moving and learning a new job and getting settled into life here.

I will not, by any means, say that I'm settled into life yet.  I'm still learning this new job.  I'm still wrapping my mind around the fact that I no longer live in Houston.

BUT.  I have to be licensed before next month...or I have to start the process all over again.

I just got off the phone with Arrow and wonder of wonders, the class I need is offered tomorrow and Thursday night and it's a class you MUST RSVP for, so I thought "no way will there be availability" but there were TWO spots left!  And I'm signed up!

I took off work today to get some appointments accomplished and so tomorrow will be a crazy day at work as some things are due tomorrow and other things are due Wednesday and...you know, when you take a day off work, there is so much catch up to do! 

BUT.  I'm not staying late tomorrow night....and I have no idea how all that work is going to be finished...but I trust it will be.  BECAUSE I'm going to finish my licensing process!

Surreal, folks.  Oh, so surreal.  I know the children aren't walking in my door any time soon.  I know that is still months away.  But after this week, I'll be one step closer.

And that just feels weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment