Friday, June 13, 2008

Who's on first?

Towards the end of each school year, I send an email out to my students' parents offering my tutoring services during the summer time. This year was no exception. One parent responded that she was indeed interested and asked my rate and available days and times. I gave her a list of days and open time slots and she responded choosing one of them. I then sent another email telling her I would add her son to my calendar and informed her of the day I would begin coming. All of this happened in late May.

Last night was the first day of our scheduled tutoring. A man answered the door and I could tell he thought I was a salesman. I knew right away this was going to be an interesting experience! When I explained who I was, he said this was the first he'd heard about this, but I was welcome to come inside. He got me a glass of water and attempted to reach his significant other on the phone to no avail. Mom and son arrived about fifteen minutes later. Her first words to me, "What brought you to this side of town?"

??

After this confusing initial sentence, she said we had never confirmed, though she acknowledged choosing a day of the week and time. I told her I didn't have to stay, but the man of the house spoke up stating I was wanted and promptly set the child and I up at the dining room table.

As I was leaving, the boy's mom apologized and said next week would work well. I wondered if that was confirmation enough, or if I should email a day or two ahead of time. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment