Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Scary!

I was sitting in my parents' living room, chatting with Mom. Angela listening to our plans for the holidays (as always, they revolve around my school schedule) and looking at the calendar with us. Dad comes from the kitchen and bangs on the open connecting door. We glance up startled and quickly realize he is trying to get our attention because he's choking! Talk about heart stopping!

Mom starts doing the Heimlich and I stick my fingers down his throat to dig out as much as possible. In a matter of nanoseconds we realize we need help. I call 911 and we send Angela next door for the neighbor. (Mom is smaller than Dad and having trouble giving the Heimlich. Our next door neighbor is a larger man.)

We've got Dad's arms up and I'm pounding on his back while giving our pertinent info to the nice (and calm!) lady that answered our emergency call. Meanwhile his lips are turning blue and he's bright red and pale white all over his face. Throughout all of this, he's coughing up pieces of chicken. Before Angela even gets across our front yard, it all comes out and he begins to breathe normally. Still on the phone, we cancelled the paramedics and began wiping tears.

Man, talk about scary!

This situation reminded me of God's love. I mean, the entire thing happened in about... five minutes maybe? But it is something I will remember forever. God's love is about second chances. It is about starting over having learned a new lesson. Sometimes a lesson I have to re-learn again and again, but learning it nonetheless. Sometimes the particular lesson is that I am loved. A simple one, but extremely emotional at the same time.

I am loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment